Thursday, August 9, 2012

Modern Day Miracles

Jeremiah 33:3  "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."

Proverbs 3: 5 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."


Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. When the kids are napping and the house is quiet, I can curl up with a book for hours. My favorite books are historical fiction. Getting lost in a western prairie romance is my happy place. Every once in a while I find a book that pulls me in so much, that even when I am finished I continually think about it. This week I read one of those books.

It was a typical love story in the most traditional sense with "love at first sight."  The preacher was traveling west to escape problems beyond his control (a Joseph and Pharoah's wife situation). He runs into an injured lawman with a lady outlaw. The lawman dies and the preacher has to take the outlaw to jail. You can guess who falls in love.

Anyway, along the way they uncover a deserted baby in a wagon train. The baby is crying hungrily and they have nothing to offer the child. The preacher is trying to keep the baby comfortable, knowing the child will probably not make it. The outlaw runs off mad at God for allowing a baby to die. In her despair she begs God to spare the baby and God answers her prayer with a lost goat who had run away from the deserted wagon train. She calls the goat "Mira" short for miracle.

I know this story is fiction. I know the characters are made up and the events never actually happened, but I also know that God is not made up.

There are many instances in the Bible when God made a way, when everything looked like it was over. Here are just a few

....God provided a ram in the thicket so that Abraham would not sacrifice Isaac

....God provided food for the widow and her son when they were going to starve

....God multiplied another widow's oil so she could pay her debts and save her sons

...God spared the lives of three Hebrew boys when they were thrown in the fire

...God spared the life of His prophet Daniel when he was thrown into the lions den


The biggest miracle in my life is how Jesus Christ paid my debt on the cross and saved me from eternal damnation.

When situations in my life look bleak, I need to be reminded that not only should I trust God, but I shouldn't rely on my own understanding. He can still work miracles for me like He did in the Western Prairie :)




2 comments:

  1. Hi, Heather! I was wondering if you could share the title/author of the book you refer to in this post. I too am an avid reader, and this sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! The title is A Lady like Sarah by Margaret Brownley.

      Delete